Many people fear going to the dentist because of "the drill." However, with advancements in modern dentistry, your visit can be drill-free, leaving you with a beautiful, healthy smile and a stress-free dental experience.
Spraying Away Decay
Air abrasion is a minimally invasive technique used by your dentist to remove tooth decay safely and quickly. During air abrasion, an instrument that works like a tiny sandblaster emits a fine stream of particles aimed at the decayed portion of the tooth. These particles are made of silica, aluminum oxide, or a baking soda mixture. Small particles of decay on the tooth surface are gently and efficiently removed as the stream of particles strikes them. Your dentist will then remove the particles of decay with a simple rinse and suction. Best of all, for many procedures using air abrasion, there is no need for anesthetic, so you'll be able to have a needle-free experience too.
Dental air abrasion can be used in many treatments instead of a dental drill, including:
- Preparing a cavity for a filling
- Preparing a tooth for bonding or sealants
- Removing old composite restorations
- Removing plaque and tooth decay
- Removing superficial tooth stains and discolorations
The Advantages of Air Abrasion
- Generates no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration
- Reduces the need for anesthesia, particularly if the cavity is shallow
- Leaves much more of the healthy tooth tissue behind
- Reduces the risk of micro-fracturing and chipping of the tooth
- Allows your dentist to treat multiple sites in your mouth during a single visit
Dental air abrasion is a simple, quick, and effective alternative to the traditional drill. It provides many benefits and reduces anxieties many people associate with a trip to the dentist. Ask us at your next appointment if air abrasion is right for you!
HomeAbout UsFor New PatientsGeneral DentistryRestore Your SmileSomnoDent®Implant SuiteInvisalign®Contact UsPatient LoginSite Map